Friday, May 27, 2011

A foraged dessert

Inspired by the season, and the wild things shooting about, I created a dessert using Wild Strawberries, Honeysuckle, and Wood Sorrel.

The concept came naturally, I have pondered for the last months about the use of Honeysuckle, why wasn't any kitchen using it, why not in their repertoire. For me, the blossom is quite nostalgic, bringing back memories as a little boy frolicking in fields, inundated by the fragrance from across the way, or whilst driving down a country road. Always plucking them from the bushes, only the golden, and stripping the stamen through the core to reveal the tiniest but most potent droplet of honey and floral like nectar. Beautiful.

And so they are in season, and I went about picking. With plans on making jams, teas, ice creams and sorbets out of them, I began noticing what was also out at the time, and what was living amongst the bushes.

First came the Wild Strawberries, mild in flavor, wonderful in mouth appeal, and growing everywhere. So I began picking them.  Another ingredient I have seen used very sparingly.

Amongst the Wild Strawberries came Wood Sorrel. Tart, a bit astringent, but with nice flavor.

The plate was born. I would compress the Wild Strawberries with a Honeysuckle syrup reduction, creating a more dense berry, with a bit more flavor. I created a strawberry jam, cooking the berries down with honey and a bit of sugar, water.



I made a beautiful and equally delicious sauce out of Wood Sorrel, and steeped cream with Honeysuckles to create a delicate ice cream.

The dessert came out, although execution could be amended a bit, otherwise the components and flavors are there. Not too sweet, but refreshing, natural, and memory transporting, something only the best food does.


Push the boundaries, what can't be used in pastry, and why can't one work on either side? Just need to work on creating perfect textured ice creams and sorbets, and quenelling :)

No comments: