Thursday, September 22, 2011

Respect

When I first arrived at the idea of working on a vineyard for the harvest, one of the main reasons is that I wanted to learn what it takes. The amount of work needed for one bottle of wine, the importance and expression of terroir, how the personality of a winemaker affects the wine.

Respect has become the biggest theme that I have taken out of the first four days here. The thought that we are picking from vines that are 79 years old-nearly four times that life of my own, is mind blowing. The vines that have survived and tended from all those years.

Respect for the natural process that Jean Marc at Rouge Bleu has dedicated his vineyard to. Vines growing amongst meadows. The sometimes rough but unique and personality giving of the rock bed terroir.

Respect for Jean Marc's livelihood. The dedication and work that he puts throughout the year for the two weeks of action in the fall. The counting on the team that he meets a mere day before beginning the two weeks of harvest. My respect for him is so overwhelming, that perhaps out of habit but also for the feeling, I find myself calling him Chef. The respect is garnered by the wonderful product he creates yearly. His rejection to classic means of production, the saying no to pesticides. The kind and caring way he treats his team, the hospitality he and his wife Christie have shown. The fearless and unrelenting leader.

And respect counts. I feel it everyday when I feel tired, feel an ounce of laziness. It motivates you to pick  your grapes as fast as possible, being sure not to miss a single one. For the vines are 79 years old, they have survived and been tended to for longer than my lifetime, it is the least I can do to give it my all. Respect keeps you going in times of low, creates a humble and positive work environment.

Full circle, I realize that in the highest points of my kitchen times, respect is there. Respect for the ingredients, as they so much work has been put into them to get into the kitchen. Respect for my peers and for the leader whom I am working for. Through doing the manual labor of picking and tending to the vines here, I will forever be marked with a respect for quality produce and products. The work and time spent for it to get to my use, it deserves the best. In the kitchens where my mood was low, respect was absent.




My time thus far working on the vineyard has truly been magnificent. I have seen so much, developed respect, tasted so many wondeful things. I can't wait to post pictures and update you all on more! Internet is limited here, and we are very busy! But more posts and pictures to come soon!

9 comments:

Relucent Reader said...

Excellent post, thank you for posting.

Julie Farrar said...

"Respect" is definitely the right word to use when talking about Jean Marc and Kristin. They give everything they have to their passions. You can taste the careful tending in a bottle of Rouge Bleu. Thanks for sharing your experience. One day I will get there to help them.

Photolera Claudinha said...

Collin, I got a kick out of your reverence for those aged vines, since I'm nearly that age myself :) My infrequent blog posts also deal with new experiences in foreign lands, so I thought, I follow your travels & travails for a while. Good luck!

Paula Hess said...

You are very wise for your age. I respect you for being willing to work so hard. Picking grapes is not easy.

Ido said...

I found your blog though Kristin's French word a day blog, I think you are incredibly mature for your age, and everybody has respect for you too, being away from your country is not easy, I admire you and wish you the best. I hope you learn a lot and apply it wisely.
Salutations from Utah!
XXX Ido

Nan Morrissette said...

I found your marvelous blog via Kristin Espinasse... Your comments about respect in winemaking are something I have also heard from my friend Charles, who also picks during the Rouge-Bleu harvest from time to time. When he has talked about it, I was intrigued at the enormous amount of trust Jean-Marc seems to have in pickers who may have arrived as strangers the day before. It's too bad respect and trust are not prevalent in more of the world today. Maybe we all just need to drink more good wine!

Sweet Life Farm said...

Truly enjoyed reading this and am touched by the wisdom of your vision at such a tender age. How fortunate Jean-Marc, Kristi, those old vines (and those of us who drink their wine) are to be in the presence of such respect. Best wishes!

Merrikate said...

All the best to you and the rest of this fall's harvest team, Collin. I am certain that the wisdom you are sharing makes it way into the wine itself and thus into the world and other's very being! The harvest is lucky to have you.

Unknown said...

Hi Collin, I'm had to pop over to read your blog and to pay my respects to you, Domaine Rouge-Bleu and to my overalls which I left with Kristi after last year's harvest. I'm so glad that you were able to put them to good use this year. It makes me feel like I had a small part in La Vendange 2011! If you'd like to read my version of Vendange 2010, follow this link. http://goforthegrape.blogspot.com/2010/09/prelude-to-harvest.html